Name Blocks



A couple years ago, I needed a baby present for a cousin, and I didn't really have the time or desire to make a baby quilt like I usually do, so I started brainstorming what else I could make instead. I started playing around with 3-1/2" squares of fabric (because I already had several cut out), and I thought, "What if I made a block or two that the baby could play with as it grew?" So I did, and I was really pleased with how they came out. So then I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if the baby's name was on the blocks, so as he grows, he would learn to spell his name?" Well, yes, that would be really cool, so I took some felt, cut out block letters for the baby's name, sewed them on, and, voila! The name block was born!

Maybe you've seen something like this before; I've seen several different wooden toys that spelled a child's name that you could get personalized, but to my knowledge, I've never seen anyone make or sell soft cloth blocks with the child's name on them, so I'm claiming this invention as mine! 😉 And today, I'm going to tell you how I make them.



These name blocks are ridiculously easy to sew--if you can sew a straight line, you can make these blocks--and they take very little time to make. I timed myself: from start to finish, you can sew a block together in roughly 15 minutes. The longest part of the process is sewing the individual letters on the squares, but that could be sped up by sewing them with the machine instead of by hand like I do. I just like the way the embroidery looks, so I always sew the letters by hand. I can complete an entire set of blocks in about a week, just working on it in my spare time, but I think it is feasible to say that, working nonstop, you could complete an entire set in 2 days. And they make such a great personalized baby shower present!


Materials list:
1/4 yd. of six different fabrics (I like using fat quarters because there are so many different patterns, they're inexpensive and already the right size)
1 piece of felt in a coordinating color
All-purpose thread in a coordinating color
Embroidery floss in a coordinating color (optional; sometimes I just use all-purpose thread)
Cotton stuffing
3-1/2" square pattern
Sewing scissors
Pen for marking

The first thing I do is cut out the six sides of the individual blocks. How many depends on the length of the name, one block for each letter in the name. For this particular project, I was making two sets of blocks for two different babies, Aria and Gracie, so I cut out four blocks from each of my six chosen fabrics for Aria and six blocks from each of my six chosen fabrics for Gracie, since Aria has four letters and Gracie has six.




Once the squares are cut out, it's time to draw and cut out the letters of the name. Use the square pattern to get a feel for how big the letters need to be; you want them big enough to easily read, but proportionate to the rest of the square. I always freehand my letters, but not everybody is good at that; an alphabet stencil would be very useful if you're not comfortable drawing block letters. A couple tips here from my experience: I use felt because it's a sturdy material whose edges don't unravel, making it ideal for such small appliques; and it is infinitely easier to sew the letters onto the squares before you sew the blocks together--trust me on this! 😉


I like to use a blanket stitch to sew my letters on--it's pretty, quick and easy, and seals the edges well, but a running stitch could work well too. You could sew the letters on with the machine if you're comfortable enough doing such close work; for my money, it's just easier to do it by hand. Here's a diagram of how to do a blanket stitch if you're not sure what I'm talking about.


And here's pictures of me sewing on the letter "A" for Aria's blocks.


Once all the letters are done, it's time to put the individual blocks together.



Lay all six fabrics out and decide on your pattern. For example, I decided with Aria's blocks, the top four fabrics in this picture would be my sides, and the bottom two would be my top and bottom. As I do each block, I add in the letter squares where they're needed in the pattern.

Pin two squares, right sides together, and sew them with a 1/4" seam allowance.



(1) Finger-press the seam open on the back, then pin the next block in your pattern to the end of one side, right sides together, and sew it on. (2) Repeat one more time till you have a row of four blocks sewn together end to end. (3) Then pin the two ends together, and sew them to make a 3D square shape, as shown below.


Now it's time to add in the top and bottom. This step is a little more complicated. Pin the bottom piece, right side facing in, to all four sides of the square you just made. You'll notice I only used 2 pins when sewing the sides together; when I'm pinning the top and bottom in place, I use three per side to make sure it does. not. move. The bottom piece you sew all the way around; make sure to go slowly and pull the sides away from the needle as you approach each corner--it's really easy to accidentally sew more of the sides than you intend to into those corners if you're not careful. 😬


Flip the block over and do the same thing with the top and final piece, EXCEPT make sure to leave an opening in the middle of one side for turning. You've sewn the whole block together inside out; once it's done, you need to turn it right side out and smooth the corners.




And there's your completed block! Now for the finishing.


Once all your blocks are done, you need to stuff them with cotton stuffing. You can find this easily in any sewing store or your local Walmart if they have a sewing section (not all Walmarts do these days). I usually have help when it comes to this stage of the project. My kids beg to help stuff pretty much anything I make that needs to be stuffed, and they've all (even 3-year-old Curly) gotten pretty good at filling them nice and plump.


Once the blocks are stuffed, it's time to sew that opening up, using a pillow stitch. If you're not sure how to do that, check out my blog on pumpkin placemats--I explain the process there




And you're done! The perfect baby shower present that's sure to elicit plenty of ooh's and aah's, and you can tell them you made it yourself!


And, if you've read all this and just feel that even this relatively "simple" sewing project is too much for you, but you'd really like a set for someone you know--well, I do take orders. $5 a block. Just message me in the comments and we'll work something out! 😊 Have a great day!


Comments

Popular Posts