Zucchini Bread

 

Like most children, I wasn't too fond of most vegetables. I didn't acquire a taste for bell peppers until I was a teenager, and I didn't find out that I like okra until about ten years ago. The discovery that I liked squash was somewhere in between the two, but zucchini was the exception--I've always loved my mother's homemade zucchini bread. There's just something about that sweet, cinnamon-y goodness that is absolutely delectable, not just to me, but to a lot of people apparently. The internet abounds with different variations on the bread, but to me, there's nothing better than just straight-up zucchini bread, no frills attached!

Over the years, I've used several different variations on the recipe; when I was teaching high school Home Economics one year, I converted an entire class of teenagers who all averred that they none of them liked squash with the recipe from my 1989 Betty Crocker cookbook I received as a 12th birthday present years ago. In fact, one of the most adamant detractors asked me for the recipe before the semester was over so that he could make it for himself at home! I'd call that a success! 😉

Nowadays, I use a variant of a recipe that my mom found several years ago for Pineapple Zucchini Bread; I usually leave the pineapple out since I find it superfluous, but it does add another flavor note to the bread, if you want to try it. My kids love it, just like I did as a child, though I can't really get them to try squash any other way. Don't worry--I'm not giving up! I figure their taste buds will come around eventually; in the meantime, I'm happy to serve them all the zucchini they want in this delicious recipe!

Making zucchini bread is pretty straightforward; like any nut bread, it doesn't require rising time or kneading--you simply mix it up, pour it in the pans and bake it. The only extra step for zucchini bread is processing the zucchini, and I highly recommend a food processor for this--otherwise you'll be stuck chopping for a long time to get the pieces small enough! 😊



Beat your eggs; then add in your sugar, oil and vanilla, and cream them with the eggs. 


Mix in your zucchini (and pineapple if you're using it), then add in your dry ingredients--flour, baking soda and powder, salt and cinnamon--a third at a time. I usually use self-rising flour when I'm baking to streamline the process, but you can do whichever you prefer. Also, this recipe calls for nutmeg, but two people in my family are allergic to that, so you'll never find it in anything I cook. We never miss it though; the cinnamon by itself spices it wonderfully!



Finally, you can add in the extras: raisins and/or chopped nuts. We prefer nuts, though raisins are good, too.


Finally, divide the batter between two greased and floured loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or so. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out and cool on a wire rack.


To store the zucchini bread, simply wrap it in aluminum foil. It will keep for about a week on the countertop, 2-3 weeks in the fridge, and up to 2 months in the freezer. To thaw frozen bread, simply pull it out and let it sit on the countertop for a couple of hours until it's room temperature again.


Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts