Grits Casserole

School's out, and it's officially summer! One of my favorite things about summertime is having the time to make really good breakfasts for my kids. Sure, we have the days when we just feel like cereal or granola bars and fruit, but if my family gets a hankering for pancakes or biscuits and gravy or even coffeecake, I actually have the time to make that for them in the summertime. I love cooking for my family, so making something special for them to eat is always a pleasure! And this dish is a family favorite!

Even though I spent a good part of my childhood up north in Indiana, our family's roots are in the South, so sweet tea, black-eyed peas and grits were a part of our daily lives. Grits casserole was a dish my grandma made for my dad when he was a kid, and I remember it from her visits to us when I was a child, so I made sure to get the recipe from her when I was learning how to cook. Now I make it for my family, and it's just as popular with them!

This is another one of those recipes where, especially if you live in the South, you're likely to have all of the ingredients already in your pantry. It's a snap to put together, and it tastes absolutely delicious. Who knew common ingredients could taste so amazing when they're combined?!?



Start with your grits. Cook them on the stove, and then pour them into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Brown your sausage, drain it and then add to the pan. Stir in a stick of butter, a cup of grated cheese (cheddar or colby jack work best), and 2-3 beaten eggs. Salt and pepper to taste, then pop it into the oven for 20-30 minutes. 





It's done when you can insert a knife into the middle and it comes out clean.





This casserole is great by itself for a meal, but if you want to round out the meal a little, fruit makes a really good contrast to the savory dish. Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts