Chicken & Dumplings

Over the last week and a half, the kids and I have all been suffering from allergies, I'm guessing from whatever is in bloom right now. Nothing contagious, but the congestion did get bad enough that I eventually took all three to get tested for Covid...just in case. After all, everyone keeps saying that symptoms in children are different from those in adults, and just because I knew my itchy eyes and nose couldn't be caused by Covid didn't mean the kids' congestion was the same as mine--none of them had complained of itchy eyes or nose. Besides, when all else fails, it's nice to have that negative result to show if anyone complains of their coughing and sneezing at school! 😉 

Good news: they don't have the coronavirus.

Bad news: they're still really congested and miserable. (Stupid allergies!)

So I decided to make us all some nice, hot chicken noodle soup. Studies have shown that chicken broth actually is good for you when you're sick (something to do with the amino acids or proteins, I think), and the hot soup always feels really good on a sore throat. Only problem: it's 115 degrees outside with 90% humidity (this is only a slight exaggeration 😏), that time of year in Alabama that we lovingly refer to as "Hell's Back Porch", and nobody wants hot soup in that kind of weather! So I asked the kids if they'd rather have chicken and dumplings instead, and they all said a resounding "YES!"

If you've read my blog awhile, you know soup is my go-to comfort food, but I would have to say that chicken and dumplings is a close second--which is unfortunate because my husband HATES dumplings of any kind even more than he dislikes soups (something to do with soggy bread or something like that). So it's become one of those meals I make for the kids and I when they're not in school and Daddy's at work or out in his shop, i.e. not eating with us. 😉

This is one of those recipes that I made sure to get from my mom before she died of cancer in 2014. I
have very fond memories of her making it for my sisters and I when we were little, and I wanted to make sure I could pass on that memory to my own children. (On a side note, isn't it interesting how many family traditions revolve around food?) 

The recipe I use for chicken and dumplings is a little bit different from my mom's, though, in that I add vegetables to it. My mom's recipe is just the straight-up chicken, gravy and dumplings recipe, and while that's delicious, I'm all about adding fruit and vegetables to my family's diet whenever I can. Maybe it's because I'm more health-conscious now that I'm older, but I have a hard time justifying a meal that's only protein, fat and carbs; let's find a way to make it healthier! So you're going to find carrots and celery in this version. You can also add diced onions and/or English peas--my favorite!--but I didn't use them this time, which is why you won't see them in any of the instructions below.  

Start with your chicken. I've made chicken and dumplings with canned chicken, with boiled, shredded  chicken breasts or thighs and with roasted, diced chicken, and I'm here to tell you--it's doesn't really matter that much to the flavor which kind you use. As long as your chicken is cooked ahead of time, you're good; this recipe will still taste delicious, making it a great way to use up leftover chicken!

Once you've got your chicken sorted, it's time to peel, wash and dice your carrots and celery (and onion if you're using it); add them to 2 tbs. of oil in a large stockpot on medium-high heat, and cook them for roughly 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften. 



Next, add in your chicken broth and spices, and bring to a low boil. I like to add my chicken in at this point too, just to get it out of the way and off my counter, because the next step requires some counter space--dumplings! Mmmm!

As far as I know, there are two different kinds of dumplings in American cuisine--the drop biscuit type and the rolled-out type. The kind I use for this recipe is the rolled-out type. Mix your flour, shortening and milk together; if you want, you can add some spices into your flour first (paprika and thyme are really good; my mom's recipe calls for poultry seasoning), but it's not necessary to make good dumplings. 



Once the dough has formed a cohesive ball that more or less sticks together, dump it out on a floured surface and roll it to about a 1/4" thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1-1/2" squares or rectangles and drop directly into the boiling soup. If you're adding English peas, this is the point I'd put them in, too.



The flour on the dumplings will thicken the broth into gravy, and the dumplings will plump up as they cook. Make sure to stir the pot frequently as the dumplings tend to stick together. They should be done in about 5 minutes.

And that's it! Quick and easy and totally delicious (and even a little bit healthy for you 😉), this is one meal your family will love to eat over and over again. 

Unless they're like my husband and just don't like dumplings. 

In which case, they're just weird! 😆




Comments

Popular Posts