Easy Broccoli Casserole

 

When I was a kid, there were only a few meals that absolutely everyone in my family got excited about for supper--pizza (who doesn't like that?!?), my mom's chicken fricassee I shared with you last year, and this dish--broccoli casserole. You know how it is--everyone has their favorites, and some people like one dish while others don't, but dishes that everyone can agree on? Those are few and far between! That's why this one is such a keeper!

To start with, it's not a casserole in which everything is mixed willy-nilly together, thrown into a pan and baked in the oven (my husband's chief complaint about casseroles); all the ingredients are layered neatly (they fit better that way 😉), so the presentation is much more appetizing. 

In addition, there are only five ingredients in this dish--five!!--and I bet you already have them on hand! There's very little prep time involved, and the casserole comes together in a snap, all of which made my time-crunched mom love making it. 

But what the rest of the family loves is the taste! Simple ingredients--potatoes, beef, broccoli, cheese--come together in a meltingly delicious combination, so good even my casserole-hating husband likes this meal. When the casserole-hater gives it a thumbs-up, you know you've got a good recipe!



Now, I know I said five ingredients, and I listed only four; the fifth ingredient is cream of mushroom soup. As always, when I cook with cream of anything soup, I use Campbell's Healthy Request, because it's the only brand I can find that is free of MSG. There may be other MSG-free brands out there, but I haven't found them yet. If you don't have cream of mushroom soup on hand, I've tried it successfully with cream of chicken (taste is a little different, but still good) and broccoli and cheese soup (it just made it cheesier), so feel free to experiment with what you have on hand.

To start with, layer your potatoes--we always use tater tots, but cubed potatoes or french fries could work as well--in a greased 9 x 13 pan. I've found you can fit the most if you line them up in rows. A bit finicky perhaps, but you'll get more potato for your bite.




Next, spread a layer of fresh or frozen broccoli on top of the potatoes. We usually use frozen broccoli florets; if using fresh, just make sure they're cut into bite-size pieces. It's important for the veggies to be roughly the same size so that it will all cook evenly. Place the pan in a 375 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. 




Meanwhile, brown your ground beef; drain the grease and mix the soup in with your beef, and ready your cheese.

*Note: I always grate our cheese fresh from a block; not only is it healthier for you (no added preservatives or fillers), but it is also cheaper to buy in the block form than pre-grated. And it tastes MUCH better! But use whatever you have on hand--it'll still be delicious!




Once your 25 minutes are up, pull the pan from the oven, spread the meat and soup mixture over the top, then cover with your cheese. 



Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the broccoli and potatoes are fork-tender and the cheese is thoroughly melted. 




And that's it! One easy, delicious dish that I guarantee the whole family will like! Mealtime never was so simple!




Comments

Popular Posts